beforeyouwatchVS

**Before I start writing, let me say this : This post is NOT meant for judgment or condemnation. It’s meant to awaken our sense of self-worth and inner beauty.

Tomorrow night is the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show on CBS. I usually watch it every year.

But this year will be different.

This year, whether I watch it or not really doesn’t matter. It’s HOW I allow myself to think while I watch it.

Normally, I watch the VS fashion show every year and practically bathe in envy and self loathing. I stare at gorgeous, thin, tan, toned bodies for an hour…and then I mentally beat myself to a pulp and vow to start a diet/exercise routine the next day. Until this year, I thought that was just the normal thing to do.

But God spoke to me this year ways I can’t deny or drown out.

He desperately wants His women and girls to know how GORGEOUS they are in His eyes. How when he was creating them, he did not skip any details, nor did he “neglect” to bless you with certain features. He knit you together, and then stood back and marveled at His gorgeous creation. And he marvels at your beauty Every. Single. Day.

He thinks more loving thoughts about you, than there are grains of sand in on the planet Earth. {Psalm 139:17-18}

I didn’t know I was brainwashed by the media. I just thought staring at pictures of models and actresses with amazing bodies was a normal way to motivate yourself to look a certain way.

But who created this “certain way” to look?

Humans did. And humans are NOT God. We are sinners desperately needing His love and grace to cover us 24/7.

For me personally, I struggled with my body image the worst after I had my baby. My body had changed and I was not happy about it. But the more I self-loathed and beat myself up in front of the mirror every day – the worse I felt. Which did NOTHING to improve my body. It only made me miserable and grumpy.

The other night, a friend of mine Instagrammed a quote about anxiety and depression. She hashtagged those two words, so just out of curiosity I clicked on the hashtag #anxiety.

What I saw made me lose my breath.

HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of pictures of girls “cutting”. Plus the thousands of “pro-anorexia” pictures. Pictures of bloody arms, legs, razor blades and “motivational” pictures of thigh gaps, exposed ribs and collar bones.

I laid in bed that night and grieved.

I grieved for the thousands of girls out there that desperately want love and attention.

I grieved for the parents who are sitting in their living room – with no idea that their daughter is in the next room cutting her body as a way of punishing herself for not being thin enough.

I grieved for my future daughter or nieces that will feel the extreme pressure to be skinny and beautiful.

And I grieved for God’s broken heart. I can’t help but think that He must look down on His gorgeous creations who are killing themselves over looking a certain way and just be so broken.

As a parent, if one of my kids constantly put themselves down, beat themselves up, or went to other extremes – just to fit into society’s mold of “perfection”…I’d be so crushed. So why do I allow myself to do it?

I think my baby boy is the most gorgeous little dude I’ve ever laid eyes on, and thats EXACTLY how God thinks of YOU.

I’m not bashing Victoria’s Secret. I’m not belittling their models. Whether or not you watch the VS Fashion Show, read magazines, look at pictures on Pinterest – it really doesn’t matter, and it’s not for me or anyone to judge. {Hello! Real Housewives junkie over here!}

What matters are the thoughts you allow in your head – and the TRUTH you allow in your heart.

Love you all,

XOXO – Risse

abe5a92cf938bc61b4b8c23bf75e7e95

16 comments on “Before you watch the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show
  1. Corie Clark says:

So good Risse!! Love love love it!

I love that you made this about the truth we allow in our hearts and not about judging or bashing the models.

xo

• cherisseredmond@me.com says:

Thank you sista!! It doesn’t get us (me) anywhere to bash on anyone, just love and truth! Simple! Mwa!

2. Tammy Beatty says:

What you say always touches my heart and moves me to compassion. Its the truth that we need to hear so thank you again so much for sharing! Love love love it!!!!

• cherisseredmond@me.com says:

Thank you Tammy. God’s definitely laid a mission on my heart this year. Redefining beauty and self worth through Him! XOXO

3. Camilla says:

Love this! I grew up in Europe and media there never put that kind of pressure on me to look a certain way. It wasn’t until I moved here that I learned that I was supposed to look a certain way to be loved. That the way you looked on the outside mattered much more than what was on the inside. Luckily I never bought into it thanks to the strong foundation I stood upon and that had instilled different values but I too, had I grown up here, would have been in the same boat as so many women. Thank you for writing this. It is such an important topic.

• cherisseredmond@me.com says:

Wow, isn’t that incredible the difference between the 2 societies. I wish the US wasn’t the way it is about looks and appearance. Thank you for reading my post and for sharing your experience!

4. Nicole says:

This post brought me to tears. I have struggled with body image my entire life. Most people are not aware that I have been battling an eating disorder for some time now. Thankfully a few months ago I got the help I needed, and I have been healthy ever since. Although I have it under control now, it is something I will struggle with for the rest of my life. The media has given us this completely unrealistic idea of what we are suppose to look like, and so many of us go to extremes to try to live up to these expectations. Young girls are destroying themselves trying to be what they have been told to believe is beautiful. Thank you for this post Cherisse. If only more women could love themselves and know that God has made is just the way He wanted us to be!

• cherisseredmond@me.com says:

I’m so glad this post blessed you in that way. I agree, with the way our society is we have so much pressure to be thin, its almost unbearable. We are told we have no “worth” if we’re not skinny and “gorgeous”. I am so glad you are doing better. You are SO LOVED. And I am here for you ANY time you need to talk! XOXOX

5. Princess says:

This is awesome! I love that God shared that with you. It’s so powerful how His truth comes in and helps us see what was always really there, especially when we’ve just been going through life with our automatic responses.

• cherisseredmond@me.com says:

Yes, His messages to us our powerful! Now if only we can grasp and believe His truth all the time. It’s hard to do! XO

6. Anya says:

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been needing to hear for the past 9 months. Thank you so much for reminding me of all of this.

7. Kayla says:

you are so right on and inspiring sister!!!!! love this!!

8. This is a beautiful reminder. And as mothers, when we allow these lies to permeate our hearts, they spill out onto our children. The best way to protect our children is to protect our own hearts.

9. Michelle says:

Yes, a hundred times, yes!